FAMSA Port Elizabeth Services
One hour counselling sessions are available to individuals (adults, youth, and children), couples and families. The therapeutic model used is Time Limited Brief Therapy = maximum of 6 sessions per goal. Problem areas addressed in counselling cover relationships problems, marital problems, anger issues, communication problems, Low self-esteem, grief and loss, trauma debriefing and management, stress management.
INTAKE AND ASSESSMENT
Intake services are available from Mondays to Thursdays from 08h00 to 11h30. Clients are contained and assessed to see which programme would be most appropriate for them, or referral, if necessary.
ips problems, marital problems, anger issues, communication problems, Low self-esteem, grief and loss, trauma debriefing and management, stress management.
Parenting for different groups of parents, including:
- First time parents
- Single parents – The purpose is to meet the social and emotional needs of single parents and equip them with skills to cope in their daily living
- Blended families
Individuals, couples and groups
10x2 hour sessions dealing with:
- The importance of mother and father
- The importance of bonding
- Building relationships
- Different personalities
- Developmental stages
DIVORCE RECOVERY PROGRAMME
- Mediation – Separated and divorce parents are assisted in resolving disputes and completing parenting plans for their children. The aim is to establish a platform from which positive co-parenting can commence.
- Positive parenting post-divorce/separation – The key to co – parenting is focusing on the children only. The post-divorce/separation course assists co-parents to handle divorce and parenting.
- Kids in Divorce – This is a therapeutic group work programme focusing on the grieving process and improving the self-esteem and well-being of children affected by parental separation. The programme includes children and parents, individually and jointly.
YOUTH MENTORSHIP PROGRAMME
- Holistic Schools’ Programme – Three pronged approach working with pupils, teachers and parents on issues such as life skills, bullying, sexual relationships, self-esteem, teenage pregnancies, domestic violence, gender – based issues.
- Ad-hoc Schools’ Programme – At request from schools, programmes are offered – Leadership skills, Educational Talks, Debates, Panel discussions and Awareness Campaigns.
- Mxit Reach Live- An online service that provides emotional support, information sharing and referral of clients. The service is aimed at youth and adults who cannot access FAMSA Offices.
MARRIAGE PREPARATION /ENRICHMENT
10Hour course (couples or groups)
5x2 sessions dealing with:
- Motives for getting married
- Different personalities
- Family of origin
- Conflict management
- Children and parenting
PREVENTION PROGRAMME FOR DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND GENDER – BASED VIOLENCE
- Awareness and educational inputs in communities, churches and schools.
EMPOWERING VICTIMS OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
- Support to Victim Empowerment Centres ;
- The management of a Trauma Support team
- WOW groups in the communities
- Black male groups focusing on historical relevance of the different roles of men and women.